Who may borrow materials?
- Students, faculty and staff of William Paterson University may borrow materials (up to 30 items) upon presentation of a valid University I.D. card.
- Proxy borrowers are graduate or research assistants, sponsored by WPUNJ faculty, and may borrow up to 30 items upon presentation of a valid University ID
- Alumni must use a William Paterson University Alumni card to borrow materials. Alumni cards are available from the Alumni Office (973-720-2175). Alumni may borrow up to 30 items.
- PALSPlus members who are at least 18 years of age, may borrow materials with a valid public library card from the following towns: Bloomingdale, Caldwell, Cedar Grove, Clifton, Fairfield, Haledon, Little Falls, North Haledon, Orange, Passaic, Paterson, Pompton Lakes, Ringwood, Totowa, Wanaque, Wayne, West Milford, or Woodland Park - and a second form of identification. PALS patrons may borrow up to 3 items.
- VALE, full time faculty members, graduate, and undergraduate students from participating institutions may borrow materials. A valid college or university photo ID card and a signed VALE Reciprocal Borrowing Application Form are required to borrow. VALE patrons may borrow up to 3 items.
- Proxy borrowers are graduate or research assistants who are sponsored by WPUNJ faculty members. Faculty members who wish to set up a proxy patron account should simply write a letter to Lending Services indicating that they will sponsor a proxy student. The letter should include faculty member's full name, academic department, and library barcode. Have the proxy student deliver the letter to the Lending Services desk and we will register that student as your proxy. A faculty member is responsible for all materials on his/her account whether borrowed by you or your proxy.
|CDs and Cassettes||14 days||1||$1.00/day|
|Curriculum Materials Textbooks||7 days||0||$5.00/day|
|Curriculum Materials Teaching Aids||14 days||0||$1.00/day|
|DVDs and Videocassettes||3 days||1||$1.00/day|
|Wireless Laptops||3 hours||1||$10.00/hour|
The following do not circulate and must be used in the Library: Reference materials, maps, Special Collections, periodicals, microforms; as well as, textbooks, curriculum guides and teaching aids from the Curriculum Materials Department.
You may renew library materials one time prior to the due date.
Overdue material must be brought to the Lending Services desk or Media Services desk for renewal.
Items not eligible for renewal:
- Materials requested by another borrower
- Materials needed for Reserves
- Materials needed for in-class presentations
For further information, please call Lending Services 973-720-3180 or email email@example.com
Using the Online Catalog
- From the Library page, click My Account. To log in: enter your last name and Banner ID (855#).
- Your Library record will list your name, address, items checked out and when they are due. Check the boxes to the left of the items you wish to renew and click the Renew Items button. If eligible for renewal, the extended due date will be listed.
- Contact the Lending Services front desk: 973-720-3180.
- Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For processing, your message must include the following information:
your name, your library barcode number, your phone number
- Lending Services will contact you by email to confirm your new due dates.
- Bring materials for renewal to the Lending Services desk during Library hours.
Fetch It Service
We will retrieve material from our circulating collections and hold for you at Lending Services. From the Library web page, click My Account and log in. Search the library catalog for materials. We send an email when the item is ready for pickup. We hold items for 5 days.
If an item is checked out to another borrower, students, faculty or staff of William Paterson University may ask that it be held for them when returned. A notice will be sent when the item becomes available.
A book may be recalled if requested by another patron or needed for course reserve. The current borrower will receive a notice that the item is needed. If deemed necessary the Library may shorten the item's current loan period to make it available to the next borrower. Fines may be charged if the material is not returned promptly. Stop by the Lending Services desk to place a hold or recall on an item currently checked out to someone else.
When the Library is open, please return materials directly at the Lending Services or Media Services departments. When the Library is closed, two book drops are available outside the front doors. These outside drops are emptied and locked at the beginning of each work day. For your convenience, a book drop is available in Room 1005 in Valley Road Building.
Fines continue to accrue the longer you keep an item overdue. You are responsible for any overdue fines once materials are returned. Fines for overdue materials are collected as follows: $.25 per day for books; $1.00 per day for AV materials; $5.00 per hour for Reserve materials; and $10.00 per hour for wireless laptops. Maximum overdue fines are $20.00 per item, except for Reserve materials for which the maximum fine is $100.00 per item. If fines are not paid within 90 days, we will place a HOLD on your student Banner account until these obligations are resolved.
Billing for Overdue Material
If materials are not returned within 90 days of the due date, you will be billed for the replacement costs and charged a non-negotiable processing fee of $15.00 per item. Contact the Lending Services department for the actual replacement cost, which varies by material type. After 90 days, your borrowing privileges will be suspended and we will place a HOLD on your student Banner account until the obligations are resolved. After six months, we will submit your name to the New Jersey State collection agency which will deduct fees from your New Jersey state income tax refunds and homestead rebate.
Lost and Damaged Material
Borrowers are responsible for all materials charged out on their record and will be required to pay the replacement cost and a non-negotiable processing fee of $15.00 per item for each lost or damaged item. Replacements costs vary by type of item. Please contact Lending Services for specific item and replacement cost information.
Fines, Fees, Lost, and Damaged Media Materials and Equipment
Lending Services coordinates billing with IRT Media Services department. Payment of overdue fines, fees, damage related to media materials and equipment loans is handled by Lending Services. Arrangements concerning lost, stolen, damaged media equipment or materials is handled by Media Services and IRT staff.